We Cover All Costs Until You Receive A Settlement Or Trial Award

Can I get compensation if I fell on ice, snow or water in a business entryway?

On Behalf of | Jan 5, 2023 | Blog, Personal Injury |

Minnesota’s constantly changing midwest weather can cause hazardous conditions for those driving or on foot. If you fell on ice, snow or water in a business entryway and sustained injuries, you might wonder if you can recover compensation for your medical bills or other related expenses.

Under Minnesota law, those injured due to the negligence of a business have a right to seek compensation for their losses under a premises liability claim.

Options for seeking compensation

Depending on the circumstances of your fall, you may have several options for seeking compensation. These could include filing a personal injury claim against the business owner or property owner if the fall was due to their negligence (such as failing to clear snow or water from the entryway). Owners of these premises or landlords carry the legal burden of ensuring common areas, such as an entryway, remain clean and safe. They also must warn others using the property of any potential hazards.

If you sustained injuries while falling on the job, another option is to file a worker’s compensation claim. You could also potentially recover funds through your insurance, such as your health or disability policy.

Steps to take after a fall

The first step after any fall is to seek medical attention. Even if you do not think you have serious injuries, it is vital to get a medical evaluation to ensure that you are okay and to record any injuries you may have sustained. If you are well enough to do so, document the incident as thoroughly as possible by taking photos of the scene that caused the fall and the conditions that caused the fall.

Overall, you can seek compensation for your fall in a business entryway and documenting the accident and your injuries can help support your claim.